Possible Background readings for neurobiology of learning and memory:
relevant chapters from any of the following books
- Physiology of Behavior by Carlson
- Biological Psychology by Rosenzweig, et al
- Biological Psychology by Kalat
- Biological Psychology by Toates
- Bioysychology by Pinel
Rioult_Pedotti, M., Friedman, D., Hess, G., & Donoghue, J. P. (1998). Strengthening
of horizontal cortical connections following skill learning. Nature
Neuroscience, 1, 230-234.
Quiz for Rioult-Pedotti's paper
- how do you describe this research in 4 sentences (in point form)?
- what is LTP? why was LTP procedure implemented in this study?
- describe the procedures in the study that ensured the conclusions were
valid (i.e., without these procedures, alternative interpretations of the
results could be given).
Martinez, J. L. Jr. & Derrick, B. E. (1996). Long-term-potentiation and learning. Annual Review of Psychology, 47,
In this review paper, only the part of article under the following heading is
directly relevant to our experiment:
- Electrophysiological approaches to relating LTP to learning
Does learning produce LTP-like changes?